Detroit public schools worry more about pay than the students

inks-nathan

High school drama. It’s something that we’re all used to.

What we’re not used to is school drama at the administrative level. That is, unless you live in Detroit.

Coming from metro Detroit, I try to focus on news concerning Detroit. Lately, I’ve found that the drama going on in Detroit Public Schools (DPS) is childish.

This time, it’s from the emergency financial manager for DPS, Robert Bobb. He filed a lawsuit against the school board. This battle started back in August when the board appointed a permanent superintendent.

When Gov. Jennifer Granholm appointed Bobb, she put him in charge of finances and hiring for DPS for one year. Bobb, represented by the Attorney General’s office, is suing the school board.

He claims it overstepped its bounds making that appointment. The school board is suing Bobb, claiming he is overstepped his bounds overhauling the district.

This comes as no surprise, knowing the history of the Detroit school system. It’s filled with corruption. Bobb controls the finances because the school board and past superintendents were unable to end the corruption and bad management practices that have shaped DPS for decades.

These problems come just after five DPS employees were charged with embezzlement and other felonies.

There’s approximately 500 health care dependents who are illegally receiving health care coverage from the district.

I can understand why the school board would be unhappy with Bobb making drastic changes, but it already had the chance to fix things.

The only option Bobb may have left is to have the school system file for bankruptcy. It’s something that has never been done for a district as large as Detroit.

But it may lead to additional fights. An inevitable part of the bankruptcy hearings will be the end of contracts with union employees, something the teachers’ union will certainly fight.

The teachers’ union in Detroit is strong. Instead of focusing on the well-being of students, the union has been too concerned making sure teachers’ benefits and pay doesn’t get cut. The district cannot afford to keep paying employees as much as they have been. Nobody likes pay cuts, but it is something that needs to happen for the district to make money.

Gov. Granholm and Bobb already expressed their thoughts for what should happen when Bobb’s one year contract is up: have the mayor take control. This may be the only option left, since nothing else has worked.

Instead of continuing this game of power struggles and corruption, those in charge need to do what’s best for the children of Detroit.