Field hockey shut out by Ohio State

The field hockey team lost to No. 20 ranked Ohio State on Sunday just 24 hours after defeating Vermont in Columbus, Ohio.

The score remained 0-0 until the 22nd minute, when OSU took advantage of a penalty corner. OSU sophomore Jenn Sciulli deflected a shot into the back of the net. The Buckeyes went on to win 1-0.

“Our game plan against Ohio State was to limit their penalty corners because it is an area that they excel at,” said coach Cristy Freese. “We had a really good defensive effort and I think that we did a few things that made it more difficult for them.

“It was good to see that our team really took what we practiced with our game plan and really put it into motion.”

Midway through the second half, two Ohio State players were given yellow cards. It gave the Chippewas a two-player advantage for almost two minutes.

“We had a couple penalty corners at the end of the game that gave us a few chances to score,” Freese said. “If we could have executed better then, obviously, we would have tied the game up.”

The game was the last of a six-game road trip for CMU, which went 2-4 in its longest road trip of the season.

Vermont Victory

On Saturday, the team held off Vermont, 3-2. Senior Kelly Jordan scored the game-winning goal with 14 seconds remaining in the game.

“It was more of a team thing than an individual thing, because someone had to set me up and give me the opportunity to actually score the goal.”

The team plays Ball State and Miami at home this weekend.