Cross country looks to solidify depth

The men’s and women’s cross country teams look to solidify their rosters Friday at the Michigan Intercollegiates hosted by Calvin College in Grand Rapids.

In anticipation of Pre-Nationals on Oct. 17, many of the top runners on both sides are expected to rest this weekend, while younger runners will get an opportunity to show what they can do for the future.

“We never want to run our kids back-to-back weekends unless it’s absolutely necessary,” said cross country director Willie Randolph. “Right now, we’re really just trying to solidify the roster, by one spot if necessary.”

Sophomore Matt Lutzke, who has been battling injury all season and ran in the Sept. 18 Spartan Invitational under the weather, will lead the men.

“My goal is to try and make sure I run better than last race (in East Lansing) and (be) mentally tough,” Lutzke said. “This is going to be my race to see how in shape I am.” Randolph said he hopes the race will help him improve his form.

“He is going to be focusing on getting himself into extreme shape,” Randolph said. “He’s been injured a little bit but, hopefully, he’ll shake off some things because he’s a top athlete.”

Junior Adam Smith, sophomore Wade Buchs, freshman Giddeon Kiptoo, freshman Jothan Lagat and redshirt freshman Nathan Sanchez will round out the men’s lineup for Friday, said assistant coach Matt Kaczor.

Senior Riak Mabil, juniors Sammy Kiprotich and Chris Pankow, sophomore Jeremy Kiley and freshman Tecumseh Adams will all sit out this weekend.

Juniors Kylee Kubacki and Raeanne Lohner will lead the women’s side.

Other Division I schools competing Friday include Eastern Michigan (men), Michigan State, Oakland, Michigan, Detroit Mercy and Western Michigan (women), in addition to 21 other Division II, Division III, NAIA and community colleges.

The men’s team moved up to No. 13 in the United States Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association poll for the Great Lakes region released Monday.

Ranking just above CMU are fellow conference foes Kent State (10), Miami (11) and Eastern Michigan (12).

The MAC Championships are Oct. 31 at Ohio.