Sports Update: Field hockey defeats Michigan 1-0

The field hockey team regained its tough defensive form as it shutout Michigan 1-0 on Wednesday.

“After the disappointing weekend last weekend I talked to the kids about putting more effort and passion and I thought our kids did a great job of that today,” said coach Cristy Freese.

Senior goal keeper Melinda Curran stopped eight shots while Paige Pickett stopped both Chippewa shots in the first half, sending the game tied at 0-0 into the second half.

Chippewas scored the only goal of the game 55 minutes in when junior Pam Seufert scored a rebound from a senior Kelly Jordan shot.

“I just remember thinking I want this to go in right now,” Seufert said. “I just wanted to win it for the team with that shot.”

Curran stopped four more shots in the second for a total of 12 in the game, earnning her third shutout of the year.

“Mel is just a tough competitor every practice and in every game,” Freese said. “Even in this past weekend, she took her lumps in those two games. Today, for her to come out and play solid and with a lot of confidence was great. The thing I know about Mel is that she will bring her A game every day and that is really nice.”

Freese understands the win against Michigan is big for the program but she doesn’t want her team to dwell on a game that has no Mid-American Conference meaning at all.

“I warned our kids that this is a nice win but don’t get over excited here,” she said. “This is a nice win but when you lose on the weekend the kids want the coaches to forget about it when they see you in practice. When you win your coach wants you to forget about it.”

CMU plays Missouri State at 1 p.m. Saturday and at noon Sunday in the CMU Field Hockey Complex.

sports@cm-life.com