Sports Update: Field hockey loses 5-2 at Kent State

The field hockey team's offensive struggles continued Saturday in a 5-2 loss against Kent State.

CMU however opened the game's scoring, with senior Kelly Jordan scoring from the top of the attacking circle.

“I got tackled about five times but I just kept going after it,” Jordan said. “I did a reverse chip shot and it went in. I don’t know how it went in but it went in.”

The Golden Flashes, with the help of two goals apiece from the Mid-American Conference’s scoring leader Debbie Bell and Rachel Miller, would the score four straight goals to end the half up 4-1.

“The thing is, Kent State wasn’t bothered by the fact that we scored first," said head coach Cristy Freese. "They didn’t care that they were down by one goal. They just came back and scored on us.”

After the break, KSU would add another quick goal which gave Bell a hat trick for the game.

The Chippewas lost the first half shot battle 16-4. At halftime, the Chippewas would make some defensive adjustments which limited the Golden Flashes to just four shots

“We just stepped up and pressured them in the second half,” Freese said. “In the first half they had some things in the defensive circle where we kind of backed away and let them take some shots. In the second half we were able to get the ball up field sooner and didn’t have as many problems with that.”

Kim Erasmus would add a late goal, her first of the year, which would bring the scoring to a close.

The team plays at 1 p.m. Sunday at Ohio.