Sports Update: Field hockey wins 4-0 against Ball State

The field hockey team ended a five game losing streak with a 4-0 win against Ball State on Friday.

“It feels good and I thought that we played a complete game,” said coach Cristy Freese. “We played well on both offense and defense. It is really good for the kids to get a win.”

The Chippewas started the scoring in the seventh minute when sophomore Brooke Sihota tipped a shot past BSU goalkeeper Tiffany Shiffletts. The score would remain 1-0 until the 28 minute mark when senior Tara Schiltz scored her first goal of the season off a penalty corner.

“It felt very good when the ball went in because it was my first goal of the season,” Schiltz said. “It was a new corner that we had just put in this week. When the ball got passed in from the corner I just wanted to hit the ball as fast as I could so that no one could stop it and it just went in.”

The Chippewas would take a 2-0 lead into the half and they wouldn’t let up in the second half. CMU added two more in the second half from sophomore Lauren Leed and Freshman Erin Dye.

The Chippewas’ four goals match its season high which also came against Ball State on Sept. 26 in a 4-1 win.

The team was finally able to get its offense started after being held to only four goals in the five game losing streak.

“One of the things that we did was we moved (senior) Kim Erasmus up from defense to the mid field,” Freese said. “We also moved Lauren Leed, who is a midfielder, up to the forward line. We worked on a couple different corner plays that were successful for us today.”

Prior to the game, the Chippewas only scored three or more goals on three different occasions this season including the first game against the Cardinals.

The team plays a neutral site game against Longwood 2 p.m. Saturday in Muncie Ind.

“I think that this game should give us a lot of confidence,” Freese said. “The biggest obstacle about tomorrow is the fact that this is an unknown team to us. It is going to tough because we are going out there to play the unknown. It will be a challenge for us.”