Cross country heads to regionals

The CMU cross country program is looking to capitalize off its success at the Mid-American Conference championships Saturday in Bloomington, Ind.

Both teams are going into the NCAA Great Lakes Regional Championships seeking top 10 finishes, said director Willie Randolph.

“Our goal is to go and be competitive and get better each year,” he said.

In 2008, the men placed 14th out of 28 teams at regional championships, while the women finished 16th out of 34.

The men are coming off a third-place team finish at the Oct. 31 Mid-American Conference championships, where senior Riak Mabil and junior Sammy Kiprotich finished with first-team All-MAC honors.

Both men will race for the team Saturday, along with senior Jacob Korir, juniors Chris Pankow and Adam Smith, sophomore Matt Lutzke and true freshman Tecumseh Adams.

One of the major goals of the weekend is for Mabil to finish in the top 25 and earn an All-Region honor, said assistant coach Matt Kaczor.

“What can you say about a senior that has put his heart and soul into the program?” he said. “We’re hoping for a great race for him this weekend,” he said.

For the women, junior Melissa Darling also is seeking an All-Region nomination following her seventh-place finish and first-team all-conference feat at the MAC championships.

“We’re really trying to push her through and make a huge step for her coming back next year,” Kaczor said.

In addition to Darling, senior Emily Van Wasshenova, juniors Danielle Dakroub, Raeanne Lohner and Kylee Kubacki, and sophomores Holly Anderson and Charnele Lyons are expected to compete. The men race at noon while the women will start at 1:15 p.m.

“Now that we’re at the latter part of our season, every minute, every second and every conversation is about still trying to get to nationals,” Randolph said.