LIFE IN BRIEF: WWII Code talker to speak at 7 p.m. Monday

WWII Code talkers

Keith Little, a World War II Navajo code talker, will speak about his role in the war at 7 p.m. today in the Bovee University Center Rotunda Room. “Not enough people know about it,” said Traverse City sophomore and Program Board cultural events chairwoman Amber Anderson. “It’s important to hear what the code talkers have to say before they all die.” The event is free.

Indian Boarding Schools

Native American Programs at CMU will play “Our Spirits Don’t Speak English” at 1 p.m. and 5 p.m. today at the Bovee University Center Auditorium. The documentary is told from a Native American perspective and details the nationwide boarding schools set up by the U.S. government. A discussion will follow both film showings.

Soup and Substance

Native American Boarding Schools will be the topic of “Soup & Substance” at noon Tuesday at the Bovee University Center Terrace rooms A, B, C and D. Soup and beverages will be provided at the event.

Warren Miller’s “Dynasty”

There will be a showing of Warrne Miller’s “Dynasty” from 6:30 to 10 p.m. today in Warriner Hall’s Plachta Audtorium. “Dynasty” is a film of collective footage from Miller’s past 60 years as a ski and snowboarding filmmaker. There will be ski and snowboard vendors and all attendees will receive free tickets to a ski lift. Tickets are $12 in advance and $15 at the door, and available at the CMU Box Office.

Music for the Movement

A cappella group Fish N’ Chips and several other CMU musical acts will perform at “Music for the Movement” at 7 p.m. today at the Wesley Foundation, 1400 S. Washington St. The concert will benefit the Michigan Chapter of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society. Donations will be accepted at the event, and raffle prizes will be awarded throughout the night.

Art Reach Holiday Collection

Art Reach of Mid-Michigan will open its “Holiday Collection” today at its gift shop and gallery, 111 E. Broadway St. The collection, featuring art from more than 200 Michigan artists, includes paintings, jewelry, greeting cards, hand-blown Christmas ornaments and woodwork. The gallery is open 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Wednesday, 10 a.m. to 8 pm. Thursday and Friday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday and noon to 4 p.m. Sunday. More information is available by calling Art Reach at 773-3689.

Safer Sex Patrol

Volunteers will meet at 8 p.m. Tuesday at the Bovee University Center Down Under Food Court to stuff safe-sex and abstinence kits for the Safer Sex Patrol on campus.

Blood Drive

The American Red Cross is hosting a blood drive from noon to 5:45 p.m. Tuesday at the Student Activity Center. Those who donated on or before Sept. 18 are eligible to donate again. Participants are asked to have eaten a healthy meal, drink fluids and bring picture identification prior to donation.

Comedian

Lee Camp, a comedian who has appeared on “Late Night with Jimmy Fallon” and on Sirius and XM Radio, will perform at 8 p.m. Tuesday at the Bovee University Center Rotunda. Admission is free and is open to the public.

Tuba/Euphonium Concert

Tuba and euphonium students of music professor Mark Cox will perform at 8 p.m. Tuesday in the Music Building’s Staples Family Concert Hall.

M.E. Ware: Ritual Regalia for Contemporary Living

Ritual Regalia for Contemporary Living will be on display from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. at the University Art Gallery. The garments are modern versions of traditional pieces worn during ceremonies and rituals. The garments are on display through Saturday.