Men's basketball looks to stop skid against Flames

The CMU men’s basketball team will try to beat the University of Illinois-Chicago for the first time under coach Ernie Zeigler at 7 p.m. today at Rose Arena.

Zeigler is stressing a better defensive presence and rebounding effort against UIC after giving up an uncharacteristic 70 points per game through the team’s first two games.

“We got to continue to be able to contest shooters and put ourselves in position to start being able to get stops,” he said.

Last season, Illinois-Chicago stifled CMU’s offense, holding it to just 39 percent shooting and 37.5 percent in the second half. The Chippewas led 35-33 in UIC Pavilion after the first half, but was outscored 44-32 in the second half.

Senior guard Robbie Harman led CMU in scoring that game with 17 points. He is averaging 20 points per game through two games this year.

UIC has defeated Central each of the last three seasons, evening the all-time series at 3-3.

The Flames are 1-0 on the season, defeating the University of Illinois-Springfield 72-59 on Saturday in Chicago.

Stepping in

Zeigler said he has been impressed with junior forward Jalin Thomas, who is in a starting role with sophomore guard Antonio Weary out with an injury.

Thomas is averaging nine points and eight rebounds per game through two games this season.

“Jalin embodies what our program is about and what we’ve been building it on,” Zeigler said after Monday’s 82-69 victory against Ferris State.

Thomas was the last player brought on the team during the offseason. Zeigler recruited him after forward Jacolby Hardiman was let go.

Zeigler said Thomas has done a good job in replacing the void Marcus Van left when he graduated this spring.

“Jalin, I think, has definitely taken a strong step forward in being able to be that type of guy for us,” he said.

Monday

The team won its first game of the season against Ferris State behind Harman’s 18 points and seven steals Monday at Rose Arena. Thomas earned his first career double-double, finishing with 10 points and a team-high 12 rebounds.

CMU bounced back from a slow start to the game, trailing 15-6 at one point before outscoring the Bulldogs 76-54 after the 14:20 mark in the first half.

Freshman guard Finis Craddock and junior forward William McClure got the start in place of junior forward Marko Spica and senior forward Chris Kellermann. Spica and Kellermann combined for just seven points and one rebound in the team’s season-opening loss to Princeton last Saturday.

Spica finished Monday’s game with 14 points and four rebounds, while Kellermann had 11 points and one rebound.

After today’s game, CMU is not at home until Dec. 1, when it hosts Chicago State at 7 p.m. at Rose Arena.