Sports Update: Ohio eliminates Field Hockey

The field hockey team was elimated in the Mid-American Conference tournament with a 2-1 loss to Ohio on Friday.

This game was one that the Chippewas had been waiting for since a 5-0 loss to Ohio on Oct. 25.

“We really wanted this game,” said head coach Cristy Freese. “We really didn’t play well in the last game against OU and we wanted another shot at them. I thought we came into this game with a much better team effort than last time we played Ohio. I thought that we fought hard but we just came short.”

The Bobcats got the scoring started with a goal in the first half off a hard shot from Marcy Dull in the 17th minute. The half ended at that score.

Sophomore Lauren Leed scored for the Chippewas in the 52nd minute of the second half off a senior Kelly Jordan shot and got it past Bobcat goalkeeper Courtney Seiders to tie things up 1-1.

“It is really tough and at the time I was really excited that I scored the goal but when it comes down to it, it doesn’t matter because we lost,” Leed said. “We win as a team and lose as a team so it would have been more exciting if we would have come out on the other end.”

That tie would not produce a lead for the team as the Bobcats added another goal in the 64th minute when Paige Herr picked up a rebound from a shot by Dull to close out the scoring.

Freese said while the team did lose this game, they did have plenty of opportunities to change the outcome.

“There was a couple times where I thought we came close to tying it up and maybe taking the lead but that didn’t happen,” she said. “It was just a good close game all the way through as it should be for a MAC semi-finals game.”