Students still have the power to change things by being involved in civics

Students were full of vigor this time last year when getting involved in politics.

The 2008 presidential campaign was a moment to create change, and many students took advantage of the election and voted. Now, a year later, students aren’t showing the same, if any, enthusiasm toward politics.

There’s a lot going on in America that will need younger generations to step up and make decisions. Politics does not stop after major elections. Students need to stay involved in decision-making and voice their opinions on policies and current issues.

Three incumbent City Commissioners were re-elected Tuesday. In a town of an estimated 26,000 people, 1,403 people showed up to vote, making the voter turnout an embarrassing 5.77 percent.

The city commissioner is a huge influence on Mount Pleasant policy, directly affecting Central Michigan University students. Fraternity and sorority houses are within city borders and have to comply with zoning ordinances. For a new business to be established, city commissioners have to approve it.

Students need to inform themselves of all changes occurring in their town, even if they do not plan on living in the same place for more than a few years. Ignorance is a weak excuse, especially when they are given every opportunity to influence policy.

State government should have the interest of students as well.

In the wake of a weak economy, Gov. Jennifer Granholm continues to say she wants to advance funding for higher education, despite making significant cuts in the state budget. The end of the Michigan Promise Scholarship is a prime example. Every student who qualified for the scholarship should be up in arms, writing letters to every Michigan politician. Just because these cuts are going into effect doesn’t mean they’re permanent.

For how involved students were in the national election, it is disheartening that they show little or no interest in national affairs.

The health care debate is still raging in the White House, yet it’s a dead subject on campus. Whatever politicians ultimately decide on health care will affect all students and their futures. Now is the time to bring concerns and other problems with the proposed health care reform to the attention of politicians. Heath care reform will be much harder to change after it becomes a law.

There are a lot of other national issues that students should be debating about — the war in Afghanistan, Guantanamo Bay and unemployment, for example.

The Internet makes communication easier and faster than ever before. Send your state representative an e-mail on your concerns of current issues. Demonstrations happen all over the state. Join a rally and make a stand. At the very least, young people should be voting at all levels, from the President of the United States to the city commissioners.

Politics does not stop after each election. It is an ongoing process that calls on every citizen to participate.

Democracy isn’t politics for spectators. Exercise your voice, and make some real change.