Volleyball to host Broncos, Huskies

The CMU volleyball team will finish its regular season in Rose Arena with matches against the top two teams in the Mid-American Conference West division.

The team will face in-state rival Western Michigan on Friday and Northern Illinois on Saturday. Both matches begin at 7 p.m.

“We are going to have some challenging teams in our gym,” said coach Erik Olson. “It is going to take a lot to win both matches, and we just have to put our best foot forward.”

The Broncos have already clinched the MAC West division championship and defeated CMU 3-1 earlier this season. However, the Broncos have not won in Rose Arena since 2005.

Central is coming off two road losses last weekend. However, the team has a 5-1 record at home this season.

“We want to move on from last weekend and really get a feel for who we are before we head into the conference tournament,” said junior outside hitter Lauren Krupsky. “We know we didn’t play our best ball and we want to get the momentum back in our favor before we go into the tournament.”

NIU has three consecutive losses, including a five-set loss to Bowling Green last Saturday.

The Huskies managed a five-set victory against CMU in the teams’ Oct. 10 match.

The Chippewas are locked in a three-way tie with NIU and Toledo for the fourth and final bye spot in the MAC tournament. If the team is unable to clinch the spot, Central will likely host a first-round tournament match Nov. 17.

“We play every match as a championship match,” said senior setter Stephanie Budde. “These matches have a direct affect on our spot in the tournament, but we just need to play with the intensity we always play with.”

Closing in on history

Senior libero Alexis Lonneman has been inching closer to the career digs mark set by Ali McCrite in 2005. After four years of work, Lonneman sits 33 digs behind the record.

“Its not something I really think about,” Lonneman said. “I mean, if I get it, it would be awesomebut, for right now, we are focusing on the rest of our matches and the MAC tournament.”