Wrestling advances three to semifinals at Midlands

Three wrestlers will represent CMU in the semifinals at the Midlands Championships today.

As the Chippewas (68 points) are placed fourth as a team behind Iowa (100), Iowa State (92.5) and Missouri (73.5), senior Tony D'Alie, sophomore Jarod Trice and redshirt freshman Ben Bennett are the three remaining for individual championships.

At 149 pounds, No. 6 D'Alie won a major decision against Derrick Pouson, wrestling unattached, 17-3. He beat Lehigh's Joey Napoli 7-5 in the second round before beating No. 3 Kyle Borshoff of American 5-3 in a sudden-victory decision in the quarterfinals.

D'Alie wrestles No. 2 Kyle Ruschell in the semifinals today.

At 174, No. 2 Bennnett wrestles No. 6 Dorian Henderson of Missouri in the semifinals today. He defeated Pittsburgh's Dane Sullivan 6-1 in the first round and Northern Iowa's Jarion Beets 8-2 in the second round. Bennett pinned No. 7 Shane Riccio of Bucknell in the quarterfinals one minute and 57 seconds in.

At 285, No. 8 Trice defeated No. 1 Aaron Anspach of the Nittany Lions Wrestling Club 8-1 in the quarterfinals. He wrestles No. 4 Dom Bradley of Missouri today in the semifinals.

Sophomore 133-pounder Scotti Sentes is the only CMU wrestler eliminated from the tournament.

No. 5 Matt Streintrager (125), Conor Bebee (125), No. 3 Steve Brown (157), No. 9 Tyler Grayson (165) and No. 6 Mike Miller (184) are still alive in the wrestlebacks.

Streintrager and Bebee will face each other in the next consolation round.

Competition reopens at 1 p.m. today.