Wrestling travels to Nebraska, tournaments during break

The CMU wrestling team will take its undefeated dual-match record over winter break to Nebraska and compete in what coach Tom Borrelli calls “the toughest holiday tournament.”

The Chippewas have a pair of matches against Nebraska and Nebraska-Kerney on Dec. 19 and then will head to Evansville, Ill., to compete in the Midlands Tournament.

After sweeping through the Northeast Duals competition, Central moved up to No. 6 in the nation.

No. 11 Nebraska has already suffered a loss in a dual match this season. However, senior 157-pounder Jordan Burroughs is undefeated and the No. 1 157-pounder in the country. The Huskers also have the No. 3 174-pounder in senior Stephen Dwyer.

Last season, Nebraska came to CMU and left with a draw.

“Nebraska has a really tough wrestling program,” Borrelli said. “They are going to be a really tough dual meet. And Nebraska-Kerney is on of the elite Division II schools in wrestling.”

The team also will have a chance to prepare for the NCAA Tournament by competing in the Midlands Tournament.

“Doing well at Midlands is really important to getting into the national tournament,” Borrelli said. “A good showing at Midlands could get you an at-large bid if you don’t win the conference.”

The top two teams in the country will be present at the tournament in Iowa and Iowa State.

“With the best kids in the country competing at Midlands, you really get a good feel of where you fall,” Borrelli said. “It is one of the best preparations you can have.”

Mike Miller’s switch

After starting the season as the favorite to win a national championship at 174 pounds, junior Mike Miller will likely compete at 184 for the remainder of the season.

Miller comes into the weight class as the No. 8 184-pounder in the country.

“Coach told me that he thought I could win a national championship at 184,” Miller said. “And I told him that I would win a national championship at 184.”

Taking his spot at 174 pounds is freshman Ben Bennett. Bennett competed at 174 at the Northeast Duals and came away with an upset over then-No. 4 Mike Letts from Maryland. After the performance, Bennett earned the No. 5 ranking at the 174-pound spot.

“My wrestling partner is Mike Miller, who is the best in the country at his weight class,” Bennett said. “I think I can compete with anybody because I am practicing with the best every day.”