Dennis Lennox has criminal complaint filed against him in Cheboygan County

Cheboygan County Prosecuting Attorney Daryl Vizina has filed a misdemeanor criminal complaint against Topinabee senior and Cheboygan County Drain Commissioner Dennis Lennox II.

According to a press release from Vizina’s office, Lennox sent 250 Christmas cards using Cheboygan County postage, which is paid for by the county. Many of the card included what the release called “campaign literature” relating to Lennox’s campaign for the 105th District seat in the Michigan State House.

The press release said Lennox had been asked to reimburse the county for the cost of the postage, but refused. Lennox later agreed to pay the postage fees, after a criminal investigation had begun. If Lennox is convicted of the allegations, the maximum penalty is a $1,000 fine and a year of incarceration.

“If this was any other citizen we would charge him, so we want to be consistent,” Vizina said. “If a employee at Subway was taking company resources for themselves, we would charge them.”

Vizina said Lennox had not yet been arraigned, and he expects a fomal arraignment either this weekend or early next week.

As of publishing time, Lennox had not yet read over the charges and denied to make any formal comment.

However, he did state he sees the charges as political posturing. Lennox, a Republican, and Vizina, a Democrat, are often at odds, and campaigned against one another when they were running for their respective current offices.

Lennox has been affiliated with CMU’s chapter of Campus Conservatives, where he made headlines campaigning against former Griffin Endowed Chair Gary Peters when he was running for the U.S. House of Representatives.

Lennox still works with Campus Conservatives in a role as an adviser.