Gymnastics wins first MAC meet on Saturday

The CMU Gymnastics team improved its record to 4-2 Saturday night with a 192.975-191.525 victory against Eastern Michigan.

Freshman Britney Taylor won her first meet as an all-arounder (39.025). Senior Katie Simon (38.9) and junior Cheryl Conlin (38.025) also led CMU as all-arounders.

Opening on the uneven bars, the team posted a 48.55 with Simon winning the event (9.8). EMU started on vault, scoring a 47.925.

“That gave us a great start,” Coach Reighard said, “And we were able to hold that lead.”

Later, CMU scored a 48.725 on vault. Taylor and Simon won the event with a 9.825.

The third rotation involved the floor exercise, with Freshman Bailey Brumbach (9.65) making her first collegiate experience. Sophomore Kristin Teubner claimed victory in the event with a 9.775.

The last event of the night was a problematic rotation for the Chippewas, with two vaulters falling during their routines.

However, Taylor produced a 9.8225 to win the event.

Return

Senior Jessica Suder returned to competition against EMU, competing for the first time this season after a broken foot that has sidelined her for the first four meets.

Central competes next in the State of Michigan Classic in Kalamazoo, facing Eastern Michigan, Michigan State and Western Michigan on Feb. 7.