Club lacrosse travels to Minnesota for two games

The CMU club lacrosse team has road games Saturday and Sunday against No. 4 Minnesota-Duluth and Minnesota.

Senior defenseman Chuck Vierk said a win against Minnesota-Duluth would be huge for the CMU program. The teams play at 4 p.m. Saturday.

“Knocking off a ranked team in Duluth would be huge. It would easily be the biggest victory for our program,” Vierk said. “Beating Duluth would cause some buzz for CMU lacrosse, because we have steadily grown and gotten better over the years.”

Minnesota-Duluth applies pressure on each end of the field to achieve its success. Vierk said CMU will get chances on the offensive side of the field because of a risk-taking Minnesota-Duluth defense.

“Our shots will come because, with an aggressive defense comes opportunities to score due to over playing or being out of position,” he said.

Senior defenseman Andrew Tillman said the beginning of the game will be critical.

“For Duluth, we plan on coming out fast,” he said. “We are going to try and shut down their main two players and then, with our offenses’ high-scoring abilities, hopefully come out with a lead to start.”

Minnesota

The team also faces Minnesota at 8 a.m. Sunday.

CMU looks to capitalize on the inexperience of Minnesota’s defensive unit, Vierk said.

“On offense, we need to attack them hard because they have a new goalie and some new defensive players, so they might not be in the flow of things yet,” he said.