Free athletic events for students still a perk to come to CMU

With the announcement that CMU’s Athletics Department is considering charging students for events, I have one response: Don’t.

I know we are spoiled as students because, this year, we got to see a top-25 football team for free every home game, but Central Michigan University’s administrators need to realize one thing: This is the university’s last selling point.

I remember being a high school senior and the two things that sold CMU as the place for me was the CMU Promise and the fact I got into any sporting event for free.

I was among the last to get in under the Promise, a five-year fixed tuition guarantee that lasted from 2005-08, and that took some work over the summer on my part. But for incoming freshmen, what perks do they see in coming to a school that is the same as every other mid-major?

The top people at CMU need to realize this school doesn’t have a big campus like Michigan or Michigan State. It isn’t even located in a big city. Yet the school thrives here because students see the positives that CMU provides.

But soon, they are going to be giving the same positives to their students that U-M and MSU do.

Several years ago, CMU was fighting to keep its Division I-A (now Football Bowl Subdivision) status. With an announcement that students are going to be charged, the university is going to have a tough time maintaining that status.

There needs to be some type of consideration on what is bringing students to CMU.

Obviously, there is education. There are multiple schools in this state that offer a good education. For high school seniors, another big selling point is athletics.

Everybody is talking budget right now and rightfully so. I’ve seen many administrators with an added stress on their expressions because, let’s face it, these aren’t easy times for everyone, let alone a place of higher education.

But charging students for athletic tickets is another lost perk of coming to CMU. Because of the budget cuts, the university is going to need all the perks it can get. It’s going to hurt athletic events, for those that have ever known bringing their student ID to the games to get in aren’t going to be happy with this decision.

I enjoy going to sporting events and love the atmosphere. But this is just another hit the students are going to take because of “budget cuts” and that is going to hurt current and potential students.

If I were a high school senior this year and had to make my choice between CMU and MSU again, I’m not so sure I would be wearing maroon and gold to start in August.