Men's basketball snaps three-game losing streak

The CMU men's basketball team's defense led it to a 63-46 victory against Toledo Sunday in Rose Arena.

The Chippewas held the Rockets to 35.7 percent shooting, and 3-for-10 from the 3-point line.

Junior forward Will McClure said coach Ernie Zeigler stressed defense during the team's prior practices and pointed out where it was struggling

"We just put a lot more effort into defending," McClure said.

The Chippewas outrebounded the Rockets 33-26, something Zeigler said correlated to the team's defensive play.

"I think we did a really good job of imposing our will defensively," Zeigler said

However, CMU shot 42.6% and 35% in the first half.

The victory snapped a three-game losing streak, and a two game losing streak at home.

The win completed the season sweep against Toledo, defeating the Rockets 59-48 on Jan. 9 in Toledo earlier in the season. Toledo (3-23, 0-12 Mid-American Conference) is the only team in the MAC still without a conference victory.

Senior guards Robbie Harman and Jordan Bitzer led CMU in scoring, finishing with 18 and 15 points, respectively.

Freshman guard Jake Barnett was the only Rocket to finish in double figures, scoring 10. Barnett was 3-for-12 from the field and 2-for-7 from the 3-point line.

CMU (12-12, 7-5 MAC) plays Ball State at 7 p.m. Wednesday in Muncie, Ind. The two team's currently tied for the lead in the MAC West and the final bye spot, along with Buffalo, for the conference tournament.

Check Monday's edition for expanded coverage.