Softball team ends weekend with win

The CMU softball team finished the weekend with its first win of the season Sunday.

Junior Kari Seddon earned the decision, going four innings and giving up two hits, en route to a 15-0 win against Southern Illinois-Edwardsville in Auburn, Ala.

“I think, today, I hit my spots a lot better than the other two days,” she said. “Brogan (Darwin) and I worked together really well.”

In the third inning, the Chippewas’ offense got going, scoring six runs. Sophomore Molly Coldren hit a three-run home run and junior Amanda Patrick followed it with a home run of her own to give CMU a 6-0 lead.

Coldren led the Chippewas offensively over the weekend, hitting 7-for-12 along with five RBIs.

“I was just trying to be a tough out,” she said. “I was swinging at the ball really well this weekend and I just had a lot of confidence.”

The Chippewas added another run in the third to make it 7-0 before tacking on three runs in the fourth and five runs in the fifth to end the game.

Central totaled 16 hits Sunday after tallying 13 hits in the previous three games of the weekend.

Weekend recap

CMU (1-3) lost twice to Nebraska on Friday, dropping the first game 4-1 and the second 8-0. CMU increased its losing streak to three games when it lost to Auburn 6-2 on Saturday.

Coach Margo Jonker said she was happy with the way the team ended the weekend and saw some positives from a lot of players going forward into the season.

“We had a couple of freshmen who haven’t seen the field do well,” she said. “Brogan Darwin hit well and did a great job behind the plate, and Macy Merchant only got in one game basically, but played a nice game.”

Seddon started three of the four games for the Chippewas after being injured last season, and Jonker said she was pleased at where Seddon is this early in the season offensively and pitching.

“She hasn’t pitched in more than a year and half,” she said. “It might take a little while for her to get into game shape. There is a big difference between game shape and practice shape, but I was impressed with her play all the way through.”

Seddon was just glad to be back in the lineup.

“My nerves were high, my energy was high, it was just a great feeling to get back on the mound,” she said. “To hear my name back in the lineup was awesome.”

The Chippewas will next be in action March 5-7 as they travel to Clearwater, Fla., to play in the University of Southern Florida Tournament.