Admitting that you like someone is better in the long run instead of hiding it

I read a column recently in The Huffington Post by noted personality Bill Maher and, not surprisingly, we come to the same conclusions regarding love.

Maher’s conclusions are far wittier than mine, but the message is the same: The more you try to ignore your feelings for a person, the worse off you will be.

I could give you millions of reasons why admitting your feelings is the best choice, but I will start with basics.

You can not help who you fall for.

Every single one of us learned this in regards to our first “love,” also known as middle school.

My “love” was Josh and, after a month, I thought maybe we should get married.

Obviously, at 13, I had no idea what marriage is, but the point I am trying to make here is instead of denying my feelings, I told him how I felt.

We did not last too much longer.

I assume this may be because mentioning marriage to a teenage boy is similar to suggesting I light him on fire.

At any rate, falling in love is one of the beautiful and ultimately frustrating features of our species, as well as something you have absolutely no control over.

Do not be afraid of it.

Love is supposed to be a mess, and it is supposed to be difficult.

If you find yourself in it, here are two things not to do.

First of all, do not bottle your feelings inside. Bottled feelings are similar to a shaken soda bottle.

Picture your emotions as a two liter of Faygo Red Pop, and then open the bottle after shaking it as violently as you can.

If you do not deal with your emotions, there is no way you are getting it out of the carpet.

Second, do not date other people in an attempt to forget your feelings.

Not only is this an awful idea, but I promise your emotions will return with a vengeance if you try to move on without being ready.

In my case, my emotions returned after a few beers and a very public scene at The Bird Bar and Grill.

As I said, ignoring is a terrible idea.

So, if you are like me and are feet over elbows over someone, the best way to handle it is to sit that person down and tell them exactly how you feel.

Me, I took my own advice and told the guy.

It did not turn out the way I wanted and this is another unfortunate aspect of love; it is not always returned.

While I am still playing with the idea of lighting him on fire, I ultimately feel better about making my love known.

It is tough if the person does not feel the same, but keep in mind by admitting my feelings, I also saved myself further embarrassment at The Bird.

This is not the greatest win of my life, but a win I will take nonetheless.