America transforms its health care

Well, they did it — love it or loathe it.

The Afforable Health Care for America Act (H.R. 3962) was approved.

It slipped by the U.S. House by a slim margin of 219-212, and we have none other to thank (or chastise) than our own statesman, Rep. Bart Stupak, D-Menominee.

Stupak was one of the last holdouts for the approval of President Barack Obama’s most coveted campaign promise.

But the president worked some political magic and convinced the representative to vote for the bill.

His vote, along with the votes he brought on board with his support, gave Nancy Pelosi the 216 votes needed to pass the bill.

Those votes did not come without some quid pro quo, however.

In order for Stupak to vote, and the estimated 10-15 votes he brought with him, the president promised an amendment to the bill that would eliminate federal funding for abortions.

Now, the only remaining step is for the Senate to pass the reconciliation bill containing the Stupak-Pitts Amendment completing the legislative process.

When Obama was campaigning for president, I was an avid supporter of his platform, especially with regard to health care.

I knew that within the next few years, I would graduate college and get kicked off my parents’ insurance plan, leaving me to fend for myself and hoping I won’t get sick.

But over the past year, I have become less confident in his plan for universal health care.

While the bill includes several necessary measures, the eight months of planning is not enough time to write a fair, comprehensive bill.

Some changes I favor are parents being able to keep their children insured on their family plan until they are 26, allowing them the chance to establish themselves after graduating college.

Those making below $29,327 a year for a family of four will be given access to Medicaid and those making less than $88,200 a year for a family of four will be eligible for federal subsidies to help cover some of their health care costs.

Finally, starting later this year, insurance companies cannot deny people based on pre-existing conditions, giving everyone the chance to get insurance.

But the Act is not flawless.

The first flaw is that if a person decides to live sans health care, he will be fined 2.5 percent of his annual income for not having insurance.

This is not right.

Citizens should have the option to get health care but, if they choose, they should be allowed to live without it.

The federal government has no place forcing citizens to purchase a good or service.

Also, some seniors, primarily those enrolled in Medicare Advantage plans, could see premiums go up and benefits decreased.

Our elders should be receiving more help than this.

This is a major victory for Obama, but only time will tell if it was a victory for the American People.