Gymnasts break 196 plateau for season-high score

Just when the CMU gymnastics team dropped out of the nation’s top 25, it delivered a season-high 196.350 score in beating Bowling Green by nearly two points on Sunday.

The Falcons were swept entirely, losing each event as CMU won 196.350-194.375 at the Stroh Center in Bowling Green, Ohio.

The team set season highs on the balance beam (49.025) and on the floor exercise (49.3). Coach Jerry Reighard said he was pleased with the demeanor his team brought to the mat on the eve of next week’s MAC Championships.

“We were methodical today,” he said, “and that’s the way we have to compete at the championship.”

Leading the way was senior Katie Simon, who totaled a season-high 39.475 in the all-around, 0.125 points higher than her previous high mark against Northern Illinois.

The season-high score allows the team to build upon its regional qualifying score. CMU can now drop a lower score in an effort to jump back in the top 25 and position itself for regionals.

BGSU

Simon did not need long to make a mark against Bowling Green. She posted the meet-high score of 9.925 to win the uneven bars, CMU’s first event.

Returning to the lineup after issues with the flu was freshman Britney Taylor. She posted a 9.775 on the uneven bars and claimed third place in the all-around with a 39.275. Reighard said he noticed the focus early in this event.

“What I saw today was a very calm team,” he said. “They’re confident and it showed event after event.”

The Chippewas took control early and averaged at least a 9.8 by their top five gymnasts in all but the uneven bars, where they averaged a 9.795.

BEAM IMPROVEMENT

The final event for the team saw the greatest improvements, with improved scores across the board on the balance beam.

CMU scored a season-high 49.025 on the event — a much higher mark from the previous week’s attempt (47.575). Simon and junior Andrea de la Garza finished first and second in the rotation, behind scores of 9.85 and 9.825.

The vault saw high scores again from Simon and Taylor, but de la Garza won the event with a 9.85. de la Garza continued her hot streak, scoring 9.825 or higher in all four events. She claimed second overall with a 39.325.

The floor exercise marked another season-high for the team with all counted scores higher than 9.7. The Chippewas totaled 49.3, a full .225 points higher than their prior high.

OPEN CALL

The upcoming week of practice prior to MAC Championships will not be very different from what the team is used to in the past, Reighard said.

CMU routinely changes practice habits into live-meet simulations prior to the conference meet.

Reighard said Tuesday’s and Thursday’s 3 p.m. practices at the gymnastics room inside Rose Arena are open to students and fans as he tries to portray a realistic championship atmosphere.

“We invite people to come into our gym and do little chants because, at the championship, it is really a four-ring circus,” he said.