Gymnasts near 196 mark in season's best performance

The CMU gymnastics team’s highest score of 2009 was a 195.675 in the Eagle Invite on March 7.

The team eclipsed that with five freshmen in the lineup Sunday in DeKalb, Ill., against Northern Illinois. CMU (9-2, 3-1 Mid-American Conference) won the meet 195.85-191.1, eclipsing its best score of the season by 0.875 (State of Michigan Classic, Feb. 7) and sweeping all four events.

Led by senior Katie Simon, who posted her highest all-around score of the season (39.350), the Chippewas marked season-highs in the vault (49.1) and floor exercise (49.05). Sophomore Kristin Teubner claimed victory on the floor exercise and vault with scores of 9.9 and 9.875 respectively.

“Right from the beginning, we had a really good attitude, so it was easy to go out and do our routines,” Simon said.

The Chippewas began the meet on the uneven bars, scoring a 48.7 behind Simon’s 9.875 and freshman Kari Dieffenderfer’s 9.8.

On the vault, each gymnast scored a 9.725 or higher. Simon (9.85), freshman Britney Taylor (9.85) and Teubner (9.875) scored above 9.85 on the event.

On the floor exercise, the team counted scores of 9.75 or higher. With Teubner winning, Simon came in second with a 9.85, followed by Taylor in fourth place with a 9.775.

Coach Jerry Reighard credited the success to the mental growth from underclassmen.

“It is the confidence that the team has gained,” he said. “A bulk of our scoring power is with freshman and sophomores, and they’re really coming into their own.”

Balance beam

The Chippewas found success on the balance beam as well, scoring a 49.0 behind Taylor’s score of 9.85, junior Andrea de la Garza’s 9.825 and Teubner’s 9.825.

Reighard said he was pleased with reaching the 195-point goal, pointing to increases in individual scores as well as team scores.

“As a coach, I can say that we did the best we could at this point of the season, but we have room for improvement, which is exciting,” he said.

The Chippewas return to action Friday when they travel to No. 22 Arizona State (regional qualifying score of 194.51).

CMU is ranked No. 27 with a regional qualifying score of 193.605.

Notes

CMU scored the top six athletes on the vault event and the top four on the balance beam. An NIU gymnast did not place higher than three in any event.