LIFE IN BRIEF: Funding rally in Lansing on Thursday

Funding rally

Starting at 8 a.m. Thursday at the Lansing Capitol Building, students representing several universities across Michigan will rally to ask for higher education funding, the concealed weapons on college campus legislations and the Medical Amnesty Bill. Central Michigan University’s Student Government Association is arranging to excuse students from classes and will provide busing for those interested in attending. SGA also will schedule a meeting with Education policy makers for students who wish to discuss higher education. Online sign-up can be found at rally.mistudents.org.

CBA dean forum

Gary Koppenhaver, a professor of finance and chairman of the finance, insurance and law department at Illinois State University, will have a forum from 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. today in Grawn Hall’s Pierpont Auditorium. He is the second finalist for dean of the College of Business Administration to appear in an open forum.

Letter workshop

Career Services’ REACH Peer Advising team is putting on a workshop to help participants write quality cover letters and thank-you letters from 7 to 8 p.m. today in the Bovee University Center Isabella Room. Attendance is free and open to the public. Participants will learn the importance of writing thank-you letters and how to make a cover letter stand out from the bulk. For more information, contact Jana Lewis at 774-3068.

Journalist visiting

Journalist, freelance writer and photographer Lorna Tychostup will speak on campus about her journey, starting at 7 p.m. today in Pearce Hall 127. Tychostup chronicled the devastation in Iraq and the story of its people as they attempt to regain a normal life. Sponsored by Program Board, the event is free of charge and open to the public. For more information, contact Nikki Burnstein at 774-3174.

Musical premiere

“Working: A Musical,” begins at 7:30 p.m. today in Moore Hall’s Theatre-on-the-Side. The life of various American blue-collar workers is explored through monologues based on real-life accounts and interviews with actual working Americans.

Superintendent speaking

Mike Flanagan, superintendent of the Michigan Department of Education, will speak from 12:30 to 1:20 p.m. today in the Education and Human Services Building’s French Auditorium. For more information, contact Betty Kirby at 774-1503.

International Film Festival

Broadway Theatre, Celebration! Cinema and the Park Library Auditorium are the main venues where movies will be showcased during the International Film Festival starting today. Java City, Art Reach, Celebration! Cinema and the CMU School of Broadcast and Cinematic Arts are selling tickets. The cost is $5 for an individual ticket and $30 for a bulk of 20 tickets. For locations and times of screenings, see the Web site at cmfilmfestival.com.