Softball team plays in last tournament of season in Indiana

The CMU softball team hopes to stay hot as they head to Bloomington, Ind., this weekend to play in the IU Classic, the teams fourth and final tournament of the season.

The Chippewas (7-7) take on SIU-Edwardsville (14-12) at 12:30 p.m. Saturday and Indiana at 3 p.m. Saturday during its doubleheader. The team follows with a rematch against the Hoosiers at 12 p.m. Sunday.

During its last meeting, CMU shut out SIU-Edwardsville 15-0 at the Tiger Invitational on February 21 in Auburn. Sophomore shortstop Molly Coldren led the team’s offensive effort with three hits, five RBIs and four runs.

Junior pitcher Kari Seddon started the game and pitched four shutout innings, giving up two hits and striking out four before redshirt freshman Sarah Patterson came in to finish the last inning, allowing no hits and striking out one.

“We’ve seen SIU earlier this season and we know what they have now,“ said senior Katie Greenman. “We just have to go right at them.”

Indiana (6-15) looks to end its six-game losing streak this weekend in its first games against CMU since 1992, in a game CMU won 5-4.

“We’re going in with more experience than earlier in the season, which is a big step forward,” Greenman said.

Base Running

Fourteen games into the season, CMU has 26 stolen bases, more than half of last year's season total of 47, with almost two-thirds of the season remaining.

Senior outfielder Christina Novak leads the way with eight steals on nine attempts. During the 2009 season, she led the team with 15 steals on 20 attempts.

Senior outfielder Amber Olejniczak and freshman outfielder Macy Merchant have each added five stolen bases, combining for 10 steals on 11 attempts.