Softball team splits Sunday doubleheader

The CMU softball team capped off spring break by splitting a doubleheader Sunday in Clearwater, Fla.

Central (7-7) defeated James Madison University 10-3 in the first game, followed by a 3-2 loss to Middle Tennessee State to wrap up the weekend and the University of South Florida Under Armour Showcase.

“We hit pretty well obviously, scoring 12 runs in two games,” said coach Margo Jonker. “With the exception of a couple defensive miscues in the second game, the team played very well overall.”

The team’s bats did not come through during the final game against MTSU. CMU scored two runs with RBIs from senior center fielder Christina Novak and sophomore catcher Brogan Darwin.

With a tie game, Central’s defense committed an error and a passed ball in the fourth inning, and MTSU capitalized, scoring the game-winning run.

Eight of the nine batters used in the first game against JMU recorded a hit, and more than half recorded an RBI in the victory.

The team did not waste any time, scoring three runs in the first inning and continuing to score throughout the game.

JMU (9-10) attempted a comeback in the sixth, scoring three runs, but its offensive attack was ended by freshman pitcher Kara Dornbos’ relief effort. Pitching the last one and one-third innings, she did not give up a hit and struck out two, getting her first career collegiate save.

The team’s pitching allowed three runs in each game. Senior Kari Seddon (4-3) pitched five and two-thirds innings against JMU, allowing three runs on nine hits, and sophomore Sarah Patterson pitched three and one-third innings against MTSU, giving up three runs on six hits.

Dornbos replaced Patterson, allowing one hit and striking out four in two and two-thirds innings.

“She did a great job coming in to relieve in both games, including a bases-loaded jam in the first game. She came in and shut them down,” Jonker said.

USF Under Armour Invitational

Central finished the USF Under Armour Invitational 4-1 after poor weather conditions canceled the team‘s first two games Friday.

Dornbos pitched a complete game, securing the win in a 5-3 victory against Radford to start the doubleheader Saturday. She gave up three runs on seven hits and struck out three.

Seddon followed her teammate’s performance with a complete game in a 7-0 wins against Quinnipiac. She allowed four hits and struck out nine.