Softball team sweeps IU Classic

The CMU softball team’s bats continued to find success as the team scored 20 runs in its three-game sweep of the IU Classic.

It beat Indiana 8-2 Sunday in Bloomington, Ind., to send the Hoosiers to their ninth consecutive loss.

The three wins — two against Indiana and one against SIU-Edwardsville — gives CMU eight wins in its last nine games.

“Our offense was at full throttle at the plate and on the bases this weekend,” said Central coach Margo Jonker. “In the circle, our pitching was also pretty effective.”

The scoring started in the top of the second inning with a solo home run by junior third baseman Amanda Patrick.

CMU (10-7) pulled away in the third inning with five runs. With two outs, sophomore shortstop Molly Coldren hit a three-run home run, scoring sophomore Ashley Gilson and senior Christina Novak. Following the homer, Patrick was hit by a pitch and then sent home on junior Brittini Merchant’s triple.

Junior Kari Seddon pitched her second complete game of the weekend, giving up two runs on eight hits. She also struck out seven, the most important coming in a bases-loaded jam in the bottom of the sixth to get out of the inning and preserve the lead.

“The defense played tight today and did a really good job of keeping Indiana’s offense in check,” said senior Katie Greenman.

Contrarily, Indiana (6-18) had five errors.

“We capitalized on Indiana’s errors, which allowed our runners to get on, and our hitters took advantage,” Jonker said.

SATURDAY

CMU won back-to-back games Saturday, with a 9-3 win against SIU-Edwardsville and a 3-2 win against Indiana.

The win against SIU-Edwardsville (15-14) was its second of the season against the Cougars. On the season, CMU has outscored SIU-Edwardsville 24-3 and outhit 30-5 in the two meetings.

Seddon pitched a complete game, striking out eight and giving up three runs on three hits.

CMU came into the sixth inning down 2-1 against Indiana in the second game Saturday. The offense sparked with back-to-back singles by Merchant and senior Jill Schulz, and pinch-hitter Gilson doubled, scoring both runs and giving CMU the lead.