Ernest Yoder named Dean of College of Medicine, to start June 1

Dr. Ernest Yoder is the new founding dean of Central Michigan University’s College of Medicine.

Yoder, who previously served as a Fellow of the American College of Physicians, is the vice chairman of medical education and research for St. John Health and Ascension Health in Michigan.

He works as a clinical professor at Wayne State University in Detroit and was named Tuesday. He begins June 1.

Yoder will take over for interim Dean Cam Enarson. Interim Provost Gary Shapiro said he was the best candidate.

“He brings a wealth of experience,” Shapiro said. “He’s had a lot of experience with medicine.”

Enarson declined the position in January, but will continue as interim through June 30. There will be a period where Enarson and Yoder work together to smooth the transition.

Yoder’s application came in after Enarson declined the position, Shapiro said.

Shapiro said he made the decision more than a week ago with the consulting of other leaders across CMU.

Yoder will earn an annual base salary of $385,000 — $35,000 more than University President George Ross’ base salary.

“(We) collected data about universities throughout the United States in various categories,” Shapiro said.

Shapiro said his salary was determined based on the data.

In order to attract potential candidates, other competitive salaries had to be considered, he said.

“It’s a competitive salary reflecting what is being paid to other medical schools,” Shapiro said.

In addition to his salary, Yoder could potentially earn up to $150,000 in performance incentives between 2011 and 2016.

Open forums

CMU did not hold open forums for Yoder because of privacy.

Since most potential candidates hold other jobs, they were reluctant to apply for the position because of the publicity of CMU’s search, Shapiro said.

In December, three finalists for the position were named, including Enarson. All three candidates had forums scheduled for mid-December, but the other two candidates withdrew, leaving Enarson alone to do a forum.

Enarson declined to comment on Yoder’s hiring.

Chris Ingersoll, chairman of the search committee and dean of the Herbert H. and Grace A. Dow College of Health Professions, said CMU is aligning with the process of other universities to keep the search private.

He said Yoder has yet to visit campus.

“There were no on-campus interviews with the candidate,” Ingersoll said.

Yoder has a doctor of medicine degree from WSU and a Ph.D in education. He also is familiar with Michigan’s health system, Shapiro said.

“He’s an excellent fit for CMU,” Ingersoll said. “His background is outstanding for this position.”