Zeigler: Somebody will step up next year after senior departures

The CMU men's basketball team was eliminated in the Mid-American Conference tournament quarterfinals for the fourth consecutive season last week with a 69-60 loss against rival Western Michigan.

Senior Reporter Daniel Monson talked with coach Ernie Zeigler about the team’s 15-15 finish, the program’s status and its future.

Daniel Monson: After having time to put it in perspective, was this a successful season?

Ernie Zeigler: Overall, when you look at our season, we accomplished a lot of things and continued making steps forward. It’s kind of hard to say when you look at us getting the second road win against a BCS conference team in the program against South Florida, and probably the best non-conference win in the conference.

And we were the MAC West champs and finished over .500 in conference play, and the seasons Bitzer and Harman had, those were definite things for us to feel good about.

At the same time, one of our goals was to have a winning season, and I think our team knows and we’ve talked about it in our team meeting (Monday), that was something that we came up short on. It was somewhat of a bittersweet season in that we accomplished some good things, but definitely left some things on the table.

DM: The last time you had to replace seniors like you have to next season was when the five departed two years ago with Giordan Watson leading the way. Next season, you have five juniors coming back, but how do you replace two guys like guards Jordan Bitzer and Robbie Harman?

EZ: I don’t think you replace those guys. Those two, just like Watson and that first senior class, those guys were part of turning the culture around. Now you’re losing Robbie and Bitzer and (Chris) Kellermann and (Brandon) Ford, and those guys were a part of putting our program in the position to do something it’s never done before, which was to win back-to-back division titles since the league has gone to divisional play.

They established another milestone in our program. I think it is somewhat déjà vu in that when Watson graduated and that class graduated, everybody was kind of wondering who was going to step up. The seven guys who are returning, the challenge is now on them. If you were to ask that answer right now, I’d probably have to try to give you the winning lottery numbers.

At the same time, I have a strong feeling that we’re going to have someone emerge.

DM: Junior Jalin Thomas said Saturday he would consider next season a disappointment if the team doesn’t reach the NCAA Tournament. Do you feel the same way?

EZ: I love the fact Jalin feels that way because that means he already has in his mind he’s going to be very determined to help improve our team next season. But I think it’s a little early to talk about team goals when the team hasn’t been fully assembled as of yet. My expectations are to continually raise the bar. The next thing to do is to have a winning season.

DM: You have commitments from four players — 6-foot-10 center Nate VanArendonk (Grand Haven), 6-foot-3 guard Derek Jackson (Cleveland, Ohio), 6-foot-8 forward Colin Voss (East Grand Rapids) and 6-foot-8 forward Jevon Harden (Detroit). You also have two scholarships remaining. What can you tell me about those guys and the recruiting situation?

EZ: I think all of them enhance our athletic ability. Colin Voss is a very multi-skilled, athletic, physical power forward who can score inside and out. He’s also a good rebounder and a physical player. He’s going to have an opportunity to come in and compete right away for a spot in the rotation up front.

Nate VanArendonk is another very athletic post player who is just starting to play his best basketball. He’s another very agile, athletic post player who has good hands. He’s going to have the opportunity to come in and compete up front as well.

Jevon Harden is a 6-8, extremely athletic defender, rebounder, shot blocker. He’s raw offensively at this point, but he’s going to give us another athlete similar to Marcus Van in terms of his ability to make plays around the basket and change shots. I’m really excited about what those three bring to our frontcourt.

Derek Jackson is a very skilled combo guard who has the ability to play the point and off-guard position. Very good scorer, extremely tough leader, very athletic and very good on the ball defender as well. With the departure of Robbie and Bitzer, he’s going to have every opportunity to compete right away for a spot in our backcourt. They’re all going to have great leadership from our five returning seniors.