Bitzer loses in final round of Michigan 3-point contest

Jordan Bitzer’s 15 points topped every competitor Saturday in the first round of Michigan’s 3-Point Shootout at the Palace of Auburn Hills.

But the same score was not enough in the men’s finals against Calvin College’s Matt Veltema, who took the contest against the former CMU guard.

“It’s one of things where you have to try to get a rhythm,” Bitzer said. “I didn’t really get that great of a rhythm. I was on and off. I can’t be mad about it, though — I made it to the finals, and he just outshot me.”

Veltema needed a shootout to get past Detroit Pershing High School’s Juwan Howard in the first round. Eastern Michigan’s Carlos Medlock totaled 12 points in the first round, while Oakland’s Johnathon Jones had six.

Contrary to standard rules, Bitzer — the highest scorer — shot first in the final round and could only watch as Veltema totaled more than 20 points for the title. Veltema went on to defeat Mandy Piechowski, who won the women’s competition, in the battle for state supremacy.

Bitzer said he had a positive experience despite his runner-up finish.

“It was a lot of fun — it helps being able to see it on TV at the (NBA) All-Star Game and experience that,” he said. “To be asked to play in it was an honor. It was a little different shooting off a rack but, once the first couple of shots go up, you don’t think about it.”

WOMEN’S HIGHLIGHTS

Former women’s basketball player Britni Houghton, CMU’s other representative, shot second in the women’s competition, scoring less than 10 points. She did not make it out of the first round.

Piechowski beat Sand Creek High School’s Landis Robichaud in the women’s finals. Detroit University’s Brigid Mulroy, who won the women’s national 3-point competition at the Final Four, was eliminated in the first round.

MOTT CC PLAYER ELECTRIC

Bitzer said the slam dunk contest was one of the most exciting parts of the night.

Mott Community College freshman Doug Anderson won the competition with a flurry of impressive dunks, edging Academy of Oak Park’s Dimitri Abner in the finals.

His final dunk, which featured a between-the-legs slam off a pass from himself behind the basket, was worthy of the NBA dunk contest, Bitzer said.

Bitzer plans to play professionally overseas by August.