Coldren, Merchant switch infield positions

softball-oakland-mms041
(Matthew Stephens/Senior Photographer)

The CMU softball team made some defensive changes this season to limit mistakes on the field.

And it has already benefited from the moves this season.

The two key changes to the defense are junior Brittini Merchant’s move from shortstop to second base and sophomore Molly Coldren’s switch from third base back to shortstop, her preferred position.

Before coming to Central, Coldren played shortstop for four years at Notre Dame High School in West Bloomfield.

“I’ve played short since I can remember and I feel more confident there,” she said. “At shortstop, your presence is more known and it’s more of a leadership position.”

Third basemen only see plays to one side, but have to react faster because they are positioned closer to the plate. Shortstops, on the other hand, have to make plays on both sides, as well as in the gap between the infield and outfield.

Merchant’s position switch was a little more difficult as she moved to a position she had not had experience at. She played shortstop the past two years at CMU, and was moved after Kim Cozat finished her last year of eligibility.

“It was hard at the beginning, picking up on the different angles the ball takes, but the coaches and I put in a lot of practice,” Merchant said.

CMU coach Margo Jonker said she is impressed by the way Merchant has handled the defensive changes.

“Second base is a very difficult mental position that requires players to be at a lot of places at the same time,” Jonker said. “She has the skill set to be a great second baseman.”

Said Merchant: “It’s more of a challenge, but I’m getting used to it and, now that I’ve played second, I wish I would have my whole life.”

Central’s defensive changes seem to have paid off, and the team has held its opponents to three or fewer runs in 12 of the team’s 13 wins, shutting out its opponents in four games.

The team’s 20 errors this season rank third in the MAC, behind Western Michigan (18) and Ball State (19). Coldren has six of those errors and Merchant has four, totaling half of the team’s errors as they work to master their new positions.

CMU finished the 2009 season with 60 errors, seventh in the MAC.