Forum provides students opportunity to speak with President Ross

george-ross-02
Matthew Stephens/Senior Photographer President George Ross casually sits on stage Monday night at the Charles V. Park Library Auditorium during a forum hosted by the student priorities sub-team (part of the presidential transition team). Ross answered questions from the student body including question about funding for the Leadership Institute, which according to Ross is already in next years budget.

University President George Ross addressed the suggestions the Leadership Institute would be shutting down Monday night at an open forum.

“That’s the thing, we have to stop letting these rumors get around,” Ross said. “That’s all it is, a rumor. Yes, it is in the budget.”

The idea of the Leadership Institute being cut off the budget was brought up after the Senior Staff Budget Advisory Group released ideas for budget reductions that came from students, staff and faculty.

The SSBAG response: “This likely will occur as a result of the recent retirement of the director and the call for budget reductions.”

Rising tuition, teacher evaluations and national prominence also came up as Ross spoke with about 90 students and faculty members  in the Charles V. Park Library Auditorium. He discussed both his goals for the direction of the university and answered any questions students had.

“I think he did really well in addressing student’s concerns in a professional and friendly manner,” said Garden City senior  Brittany Mouzourakis,  president of the Student Government Association.

After a quick introduction by Mouzourakis, Ross took the stage and proceeded to talk for about 10 minutes on the university’s direction and what he hopes to do. Among the things Ross stressed was the importance of making efficient financial decisions.

“We will not make across the board budget reductions and we will not significantly raise tuition,” he said. “But we will not sacrifice quality on faculty or facilities.”

After the opening speech, Ross then opened it up for an hour-long question and answer segment. One student questioned what defines a "significant" tuition increase—what Ross promised at a board meeting last week that he aims to avoid implementing this summer.

Ross mentioned in California some schools had raised tuition by 26 percent, but quickly replied Central Michigan University would not see that high.

Jason Nichol, former SGA president and Mount Pleasant senior, was satisfied with the discussion.

“A lot of good questions surfaced. Obviously budget and tuition costs were of great interest to students, which is good,” Nichol said. “From my perspective, the questions were respectful and appropriate.”

Most of the students seemed to be pleased with President Ross, as well.

“I think he did a fantastic job,” said Taylor Hammerl, a Lake Orion sophomore. “He came composed and answered all of our questions directly. And if he didn’t know the answer, he was willing to get in contact with them and get them the information.”

Ross said he will be in front of the students as often as his schedule permits.

Mouzourakis said she would love for the open forum to happen again.

“I would love to see him come in once a semester, hosted by SGA, and for it to be open to the public,” she said.