Hinck finds ‘great opportunity’ in serving CCFA as associate dean

Shelly Hinck is the new associate dean of Central Michigan University’s College of Communication and Fine Arts.

“I thought that this would be a great opportunity for me to serve the CCFA,” she said.

Hinck was selected at the end of March, and her position is effective July 1.

Her new responsibilities include involvement with curriculum issues, affirmative actions for the college and interdisciplinary programs. Primary responsibilities include curriculum management and support for the dean.

Hinck has been at CMU for 21 years and has worked in the Volunteer Center and as a service learning coordinator.

She also has served on the Mount Pleasant School Board.

“In these experiences, I was able to develop skills that will help me as the associate dean,” she said.

Although she said she is excited, she is approaching her new position with a bit of a heavy heart.

“I will miss the interactions that I had with students and being in the classroom; that was something I really enjoyed,” Hinck said. “However, I know I will still be able to serve the students, just in a different way.”

Salma Ghanem, dean of the College of Communication and Fine Arts, is pleased with the choice.

“She has got great communication skills,” Ghanem said. “We are going to miss Professor (Al) Wildey, who is stepping down, but I think CCFA is going to have a good team with Dr. Hinck aboard.”

Hinck succeeds Wildey, who served as the interim associate dean of CCFA and will return to the department of art and design.

“I think she’s going to do a great job,” Wildey said. “She has a lot of enthusiasm, interpersonal skills, and a communication background.”