Jonker earns 1,000th career win in game vs. Michigan State

softball-2010-msu-cmu043
(Matthew Stephens/Senior Photographer)

CMU Softball Coach Margo Jonker stood by her team as she received a standing ovation Thursday in front of more than 1,000 fans at Margo Jonker stadium.

The team’s 5-1 victory against Michigan State marked a career milestone for Jonker, as she won her 1,000th game, just the 10th coach in Division I softball history to reach the mark.

Jonker was the second coach to reach the milestone this year, following California coach Diane Ninemire, who did so April 7.

“(Jonker)’s a great coach,” said junior pitcher Kari Seddon. “She deserves every win that she’s had and I’m glad to be on her team.”

Sophomore shortstop Molly Coldren also said she feels honored to play for Jonker.

“To help out with that 1,000th victory is just great. She’s a great coach and she inspires us to play as hard as we can,” Coldren said.

Coldren reached a milestone of her own in the sixth inning, hitting her ninth home run of the season. The homer broke Elizabeth Barnes’ record for most home runs in a single season, with at least 10 more games to play.

“I just told myself to be a tough out and find a way to get on,” Coldren said. “I didn’t think it was going over at first, but to see it went over, I got real excited.”

The Central shortstop came into the season with just three home runs in her first year. She has tripled that this year. She said her confidence has improved this season now that she is back in her natural position at shortstop, and the team’s chemistry has been great.

“For (Christina Novak) to set the career record and for Molly to set the single season record, is just awesome,” Jonker said.

THURSDAY GAME

Central (22-13) started the game with Coldren recording two quick fielding errors, but regained control, allowing only one run, which came in the fourth inning.

Michigan State (18-24), after a leadoff triple by Jessica Bracamonte, took a 1-0 lead after an RBI-single by Kelly Confer.

Keeping consistent with their season trends, the Chippewas answered back in the bottom of the inning.

Senior outfielder Christina Novak sent the first pitch of the inning over the center-field fence to tie the ball game. The home run was her 17th career home run, passing Cathy Wylie, Elizabeth Barnes and Christin Sobeck to set the school record for most career home runs.

After back-to-back singles by senior Katie Greenman and Coldren, senior Jill Schulz hit a three-run homer to center field to take a 4-1 lead. The home run was her third of the season.

Two walks and a wild pitch loaded the bases for the Spartans in the fifth, but Seddon dodged the threat, leaving the bases loaded. MSU left eight runners on base in the game while Central left just two.

The Spartans had one last attempt to rally in the seventh, but were stalled by a diving catch by sophomore outfielder Ashley Gilson to end the game.

The win came behind a Seddon’s pitching effort, as she allowed one run on five hits in her 12th complete game of the season. She struck out seven and walked two to advance to 12-7.

“(Kari) pitched a great game,” Jonker said. “She got ahead of the batters most of the time and stayed ahead. She didn’t really give them many pitches to hit.”

Central lost its last meeting to the Spartans 7-6 in 2009 but is 3-1 in their last four meetings.

Thursday’s win was Central’s fifth consecutive victory, completing the home series sweep. The team takes on Easter Michigan this weekend, the first game at 2 p.m. Saturday in Ypsilanti.