Junior college transfer Paramore signs letter of intent to play at CMU

The sixth member of the CMU men’s basketball team’s 2010 recruiting class is no stranger to success.

Paris Paramore, a 6-foot point guard who led Triton College (Ill.) to a 55-7 record during his two seasons, signed a National Letter of Intent to play at CMU on Monday.

“He’s a winner,” said CMU coach Ernie Zeigler. “He’s a guy who had really good leadership skills throughout high school and college. He’s played in situations where he’s helped his teams win.”

Paramore’s 14.8 points and 4.7 assists per game led Triton, which finished 26-3 last season. He also added 5.1 rebounds per game. In 2008-09, Triton went 29-4 and did not lose a game in the North Central Community College Conference.

“I try to pick players up when they’re down and make sure they’re working hard,” Paramore said. “For the big men, if they’re running the floor, I like to reward them. It’s not all about scoring — I rebound a lot as well.”

Triton coach Steven Christiansen said Paramore is an unselfish contributor.

“Paris is just a really smart, solid player,” said Triton coach Steve Christiansen. “He does a lot of things on the floor that increases his team’s chances of winning. He’s just kind of always in the right spot making the play that needs to be made.”

Said CMU assistant coach Darren Kohne: “I think he’s very versatile — he’s a good shooter who shot 50 percent from the field and 39 percent from (3-point range) last season.

“He’s not a great athlete — very average athleticism. But he just has a desire and passion to win, which I think, in Coach Zeigler’s program, is ultimately the most important characteristic you can have.”

HIGH SCHOOL

As a prep player at Chicago’s George Washington High School, Paramore helped lead his team to back-to-back city championship games. His team lost both times against Simeon Career Academy, which was led by Derrick Rose, who now is a member of the NBA’s Chicago Bulls.

“The Chicago Public Schools are real tough,” Paramore said. “I think that played a good role in getting me to this point.”

Paramore’s George Washington teams also featured DeAndre Liggins, a guard at Kentucky and Kansas guard Mario Little.

Christiansen said Paramore chose the Chippewas over Eastern Michigan and Loyola.

“It’s going to be a real honor to represent the ‘C’ and be part of one of the top recruiting classes in Central history,” Paramore said.

‘GREAT DEPTH’

Paramore likely will compete with senior Amir Rashid next season for the starting position at point guard.

The Chippewas lose their starting backcourt and two leading scorers — Jordan Bitzer and Robbie Harman. Incoming freshman Trey Zeigler is expected to start at shooting guard or small forward, but Ernie Zeigler said he expects practices to increase in intensity.

“(Paramore) allows us to have great depth in our backcourt, and he brings a competitiveness to the position as well,” Zeigler said. “We’re going to have the opportunity to have some very spirited and competitive practices that are going to help this team develop.”