Mount Pleasant City Commission tentatively eliminates $966,000 from 2011 budget

The Mount Pleasant 2011 operating budget was tentatively cut by $966,000 at a budget work session Thursday.

City Commissioners discussed proposed cuts to combat the budget deficit of nearly $1 million for the upcoming year.

The only issues the commission could not agree on were raising the city’s millage rate by 0.2 mills and the reduction of two members of the Mount Pleasant Police Department.

The proposal would eliminate one patrol officer and detective, which would reduce costs by about $167,000. The commission seemed to be split on the issues, 3-3. Commissioner Jeffrey Palmer was not in attendance.

“It’s certainly going to slow the operation down, but we’ll do the best we can,” said Director of Public Safety Anthony Gomez. “This is not the Mount Pleasant I worked in 22 years ago.”

He said he would not be comfortable cutting police forces in the city.

If both positions were eliminated, one would remove a vacancy left when former director of public safety Bill Yeagley left the agency in July to take over as Central Michigan University’s police chief.

Commissioner Jon Joslin said city residents should determine the level of police force levels.

“That’s where the comfort level is,” he said.

Firefighter positions

Up to two firefighting positions may also be eliminated under the proposed budget.

One part-time position and one full-time position were proposed to be eliminated, a potential budget reduction of $85,000. The city would also explore the possibility of exploring contracting out fire code enforcement. The city has 17 part-time firefighters.

The commission explored possibly cutting two part-time firefighters, but compromised on just one position. The full-time position would get eliminated through attrition, and the part-time firefighters would be laid off.

Fire Chief Greg Walterhouse said currently, about eight firefighters show up on a call.

“It hasn’t compromised us at this point,” he said.

Vice Mayor Bruce Kilmer said he was not comfortable with eliminating code enforcement completely, especially since City Manager Kathie Grinzinger said inspections have resulted in finding violations across Mount Pleasant.

Commissioner David McGuire said contracting it out may result in finding someone else who is qualified to do the inspections at a lower price.

“There’s got to be a retired Detroit firefighter in town,” he said.