Trey Zeigler to announce decision today; reports say he will pick CMU

Trey Zeigler spent his last full day as an uncommitted high school basketball prospect at the Student Activity Center, playing pick-up basketball with a few CMU players.

It wasn’t anything out of the ordinary — Trey has spent plenty of time around the program run by his father, Ernie Zeigler, since his family moved to Mount Pleasant in 2006.

But today, Trey will announce on national television whether he spends the next four years in Mount Pleasant — as an official member of his father’s team. At about 4:45 p.m., during ESPNU’s signing-day special, Trey will reveal which Division I school will receive his services.

“It’s been a long-time coming and finally getting it over with is going to be huge,” said Trey, a 6-foot-5 senior guard from Mount Pleasant High School who ESPN ranks as the No. 8 shooting guard and the No. 33 overall prospect in the nation.

Published reports late Tuesday said that Trey had chosen CMU. But it’s not official until Thursday morning, when he signs his National Letter of Intent in front of family, friends, media members and supporters at Mount Pleasant High School.

MAKING THE RIGHT CALL

Trey, who was the runner-up for this year’s Michigan Mr. Basketball award for the state’s top player, said he didn’t make the decision until Monday, selecting between CMU, Michigan, Michigan State and UCLA.

“We sat down with my dad, my family, my mom and finally made the decision,” he said. “There’s so many different things that played into it. Being so close to my family and things like that — staying here, going out there — things like that. At the end of the day, I think we made the right decision.”

Ernie Zeigler, who signed a four-year contract Tuesday through the 2013-14 season — which would be Trey’s senior year — said it will be tough for Trey to disappoint the people with which he’s developed relationships during his recruitment process.

“Unfortunately, there’s only one school that he can attend,” Ernie said. “There’s going to be some coaches really happy and other coaches really upset. But for me, it’s a win-win situation because I know my son is going to have the opportunity to play for a really good coach and be a part of a really good situation, whatever situation that is.”

Trey said his father’s contract provides the secure situation he wants in looking for a school to attend.

“It’s great for my dad — he’s done some great things, winning back-to-back MAC West championships,” Trey said. “For me, without that contract, I really don’t think there would really be a shot at me coming (to CMU). We wanted security in a situation, so I think that was great for that to happen. It opens the door for him.”

TOP TALENT

Trey averaged 24.3 points and 10.5 rebounds per game his senior season at MPHS to lead the team to a 21-4 record and a Class A district title.

He said he has been recruited since his freshman year of high school, receiving letters and phone calls from interested schools.

“But my dad let me know right away that really doesn’t mean anything,” Trey said. “But when I sat down with (Michigan State) Coach (Tom) Izzo, he told me he wanted me and, being from such a prestigious school, I knew right there I had a chance to play at a lot of different schools.”

James Conway, MPHS athletics director, said he believes Trey can compete with anyone in the country.

“He’s a coachable kid who has a great understanding of basketball,” Conway said. “I don’t see any problems if he ends up playing for his father.”

THE PROCESS

Trey said he has enjoyed the attention he receives, but the pressure lately has increased from outsiders who want to know his plans.

“As a high school kid, you love the attention,” he said. “But at a certain point, it’s like, ‘This is enough.’ I think I’ve been at that point since the beginning of this year.

The biggest thing I try to do is put it on the backburner.

“Especially during basketball it gave me an option out — I tried not to think about it that much. But now that basketball’s over, there’s really nothing else to look at but that. These last couple of weeks have been difficult.”

For MPHS boys varsity coach Sam Taylor, Trey’s four years gave the program attention that it had not seen in years.

“I look at it as a real fun learning experience and something that might not happen very often in our program,” Taylor said. “We wanted to take it all in and enjoy it.”