Softball begins weekend series against Buffalo in first place

The CMU softball team has played 30 of its 37 games away from the comfort of Margo Jonker Stadium.

The Chippewas head into its final road trip of the season as it takes on Buffalo in a doubleheader today and Mid-American Conference leader Kent State Saturday and Sunday.

“It’s a lot of wear and tear on the body,” said junior third baseman Amanda Patrick about playing so many road games. “But this is D-1 softball. You have to be ready for whatever is thrown at you.”

Patrick hit a grand slam to take the lead in extra innings against Eastern Michigan on Saturday to help preserve what was a six-game winning streak. CMU won game two of the double header to extend the streak to seven games.

Despite the winning streak, CMU is still tied atop the MAC West with Ball State (10-4). Coach Margo Jonker said anyone could be beaten on any given day in the conference.

“The conference is very even,” she said. “Our goal every time is to focus on the process and let the outcome take care of itself.”

CMU has only given up seven runs in its last five games. Junior Kari Seddon threw complete games in three of them.

Seddon who was named MAC pitcher of the week said she is honored for the award but deflected the credit to her team.

“I owe a lot of it to my teammates,” she said. “They make me look better.”

After playing Buffalo, CMU heads into a showdown for first place overall in the MAC against Kent State.

The Golden Flashes are a power hitting team, boasting 42 home runs this season. It also features pitcher Kylie Reynolds, who leads the league in strikeouts and innings, and is third in earned-run average.

“The bottom line is we have to be aggressive and selective at the same time,” Jonker said about facing Reynolds. “We have to be on our game. I totally believe we can hit their pitching.”

Seddon said no one talks about must-win situations in the tight race for the MAC crown. She said the team needs to play their brand of softball.