Softball plays EMU in two-game series; Novak sets career-home run record

The CMU softball team looks to add to its Mid-American Conference West Division lead this weekend with a two-game set against an in-state rival.

CMU (22-13 overall, 8-4 MAC) plays Eastern Michigan (14-23, 4-8) Saturday and Sunday at Varsity Field in Ypsilanti.

The Chippewas have won six of their last seven MAC games and moved into first place in the West Division after going 4-0 last weekend against Akron and Ohio.

Coach Margo Jonker said the key has been a balanced attack from Central.

“We’re very solid all the way throughout the lineup and we’re very good player-for-player,” she said. “But you have to have leadership, and I really feel like our leaders have done a great job.”

After starting MAC play 3-1, EMU has lost six of its last seven MAC games.

EMU’s pitchers have struggled to keep MAC opponents off the scoreboard, giving up 5.08 runs per game in MAC play.

Coach Karen Baird has been using different pitchers in the circle lately, but none have been able to take over the ace’s role.

Junior Jamie Melchert has pitched the most innings with a 3.10 earned run average. Melchert has started the Eagles’ last two games, and hitters are batting .280 against her on the season.

Another junior, Stacie Skodinski leads the team with a .353 average, and senior Jenny Scherer is supplying the power with nine home runs this season.

NOVAK

Jonker’s 1,000th win was the main story coming from Thursday’s 5-1 win against Michigan State — but Christina Novak stole some of the spotlight.

Novak set her own record and changed the momentum for the CMU softball team. She hit a home run off the first pitch she saw in the bottom of the fourth inning to break a four-way tie at 16 home runs for the all-time career leader in Central Michigan history.

“It was my second at-bat, and I was just thinking to get on base for my teammates,” she said. “My first at-bat, I was seeing the ball well, but I didn’t get on base, so I went up there thinking the first pitch I saw that I wanted, I was going to hit it.”

She has been more than just a power hitter for Central — she also is a force on the base paths, now leading the team with 20 steals in 21 attempts this season. She led the team in steals last year with 15 and was second as a sophomore with 20.

Her 17th home run of her career also tied the game 1-1 after the Spartans got on the scoreboard in the top half of the inning.