Softball swept by Bowling Green in road doubleheader

The Central Michigan softball team had a hard time clearing the bases Friday as it left nine runners on base in back-to-back losing efforts today against Bowling Green.

The team lost the opener 6-4 and followed with a 3-2 loss at Merserve SB Field in Bowling Green, Ohio.

Senior Christina Novak’s only hit of the game came early with a leadoff home run to start the second game. The homer was the 14th of her career, moving her to fifth in school history.

BGSU (6-10) did not take long to match its opponent, adding a run in the bottom of the first, and another in the second.

Senior outfielder Katie Greenman tied the game in the top of the sixth inning with a solo home run, but BGSU followed suit again with a solo home run by catcher Adrienne Dick, her first of the season.

Freshman Kara Dornbos (6-2) got the loss after six innings of work, giving up three runs on six hits. She also walked three batters and stuck out one.

Game one

The Chippewas watched a close game get away from them in their opener, heading into the final inning with a one-run lead.

The Falcons started the seventh with a leadoff single, and put the tying run in scoring position on Hannah Fulk’s sacrifice bunt.

After a two-out steal, the game-tying run moved to third, and then scored off a fielding error by junior second baseman Brittini Merchant.

With the game tied, first baseman Paige Berger stepped up to the plate and ended the game with a two-run walk-off homer over the center field wall.

Junior Kari Seddon (6-5) pitched 6 and 2/3 innings, giving up six runs (two earned) off seven hits. She struck out seven.

The team looks to rally back from the sweep Saturday at 2 p.m. at Toledo.