Zombo, others sign deals as undrafted free agents

Frank Zombo is already anticipating what may happen when he lines up against former Central Michigan teammate and Chicago Bears quarterback Dan LeFevour as a Green Bay Packers linebacker.

“I told him that I’m going to have the opportunity to sack him twice a year now,” said Zombo, who played defensive end at CMU.

Zombo is one of three CMU football players who agreed to free-agent contracts with NFL teams after not being selected in last weekend’s NFL Draft. Wide receiver Bryan Anderson ended up with the New England Patriots, while cornerback Josh Gordy signed Saturday night with the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Each will have a chance to make their respective team’s 53-man roster.

“We did a lot of things as a senior class, we turned the program around and now there’s five guys representing that in the NFL right now — an even bigger task,” Gordy said of the five seniors, including LeFevour and receiver Antonio Brown (Pittsburgh Steelers) who will have NFL opportunities. “That says a lot about the program — we’re on the national stage now.”

PERFECT FIT

Gordy, who led CMU with three interceptions last season, said he turned down a more lucrative signing bonus from the Philadelphia Eagles to sign with Jacksonville. He felt comfortable with the coaches, facilities and proximity — about a 4-hour drive — to his hometown of Warthen, Ga. But above all else, his chance to make the team took first billing.

“They only drafted six players in the entire draft, so that helps my chances a little bit,” Gordy said. “On the roster, there’s only six corners right now. A typical NFL roster usually has to carry at least seven or eight DBs. It’s a real positive right now.”

The 5-foot-11, 194-pound Gordy said the Jaguars were impressed with his performance at CMU’s Pro Day on March 24 and contacted him the next day. Gordy ran the 40-yard dash in 4.32 seconds, the fastest of any CMU player. He said not being invited to the NFL Combine in late February motivated him and made his Pro Day even more important.

With all the pieces in place, Gordy said he feels confident he can find a spot on the final 53-man roster. Jacksonville ranked 27th in the NFL in pass defense last season, allowing 235.9 yards per game.

“I’m trying to get on every special team I can too, so wherever I can get in and help the team,” he said.

Gordy, a four-year starter who also led the Chippewas last season with 11 pass breakups, said the larger signing bonus was not worth the kind of opportunity the Jaguars offer.

“There was more potential — it’s something that money really can’t replace right now,” Gordy said.

NEW POSITION

Zombo said he won’t have much trouble adjusting from defensive end to outside linebacker at the professional level.

“I’ve had experience in drop-back coverage before and I’ve lost some weight since playing defensive end,” said the 6-foot-4, 252-pound Zombo. “I feel like I’m more athletic now and obviously with rushing the passer, it won’t be that much of a transition.

Zombo, a Sterling Heights native whose 6.5 sacks last season led CMU, said the Detroit Lions offered a spot in their camp as a tight end, but Green Bay presented a better opportunity.

He will sign a three-year contract Tuesday with a $3,500 signing bonus and reports to minicamp Thursday. He said he hopes to make a defensive squad that includes former CMU defensive end Cullen Jenkins.

“My family’s always kind of liked Brett Favre, especially in Green Bay,” Zombo said. “Growing up watching the Lions play Green Bay, it’s a winning tradition and I’m excited to be a part of it.”

JOINING THE PATRIOTS

Anderson will attempt to make a New England team that currently has 10 wide receivers on its roster.

CMU’s all-time leading receiver in yards (3,648) and touchdowns (28) joins a receiving corps that was bolstered by the selection of Ohio’s Taylor Price in the third round.

Anderson, who attended Rockford High School, also holds an NCAA record for consecutive games with a reception — catching a pass in 54 consecutive games

Anderson said via text message he was unavailable for comment before he reports to Foxboro, Mass., this week.