Zombo signs with Green Bay Packers as free agent
Former CMU defensive end Frank Zombo said Saturday he has signed a free-agent contract with the Green Bay Packers.
The 6-foot-4, 269-pound Zombo will attempt to make the team as an outside linebacker. He also received interest from the Detroit Lions as a tight end, but decided on the Packers after the draft concluded Saturday afternoon.
"The Lions invited me to their camp," Zombo said. "But then when the draft was over we went with Green Bay."
Zombo, who attended Sterling Heights Stevenson High School, reports to Green Bay's minicamp on Thursday to begin workouts. He said he will sign the contract Tuesday, which includes a $3,500 signing bonus. It's a three-year deal contingent on whether he is able to make the 53-man roster.
"The Green Bay deal was just more promising and I had a better chance of making the team," he said. "Green Bay has a winning tradition."
Zombo's 25.5 career sacks ranks second in CMU history. His 6.5 sacks in 2009 ranked first on the team and his 45 tackles ranked seventh. He also returned an interception 27 yards for a touchdown against Northern Illinois on Nov. 27.
Packers depth chart at outside linebacker:
- ROLB Clay Matthews (16 games, 50 tackles, 10 sacks)
- ROLB Brady Poppinga (15 games, 23 tackles, one sack)
- ROLB Rob Francois (no experience after one season)
- LOLB Brad Jones (14 games, 33 tackles, four sacks)
- LOLB Jeremy Thompson (six games, one tackle)
- LOLB Cyril Obiozor (five games, two tackles)