Baseball falls in rubber match against NIU, loses second consecutive MAC series

After winning its first four Mid-American Conference series of the season, the Central Michigan baseball team finds itself reeling following two consecutive series losses.

CMU lost the rubber match of this weekend's series against Northern Illinois 3-2 Sunday in DeKalb, Ill.

For the second time in three days, an inability to get timely hitting cost the Chippewas, who now sit a game behind MAC West Division leaders Toledo and Ball State.

Northern Illinois used four hits in the first inning to take a 1-0 lead on junior right-hander Jake Sabol.

CMU (24-18, 12-6 MAC) threatened in the second with three consecutive singles to load the bases, but could not produce any runs to show for it. The Chippewas left 14 runners on base for the game, more than the 10 they left stranded in Friday's 4-1 loss.

"We couldn't get a hit in scoring position, it's that simple," said coach Steve Jaksa.

They would, however, tie the game at 1 in the fourth inning following an RBI single by senior Billy Anderson (2-for-5).

An error by junior shortstop Robbie Harman in the fifth inning and subsequent wild pitch led to the Huskies' second run of the game.

"We pitched very well but we had one unearned run that gets magnified because we couldn't get a hit with anyone on base today for some reason," Jaksa said. "Consequently, that one run makes a huge difference because it was unearned."

NIU (18-25, 8-10 MAC) added another run in the eighth with a solo home run by Joe Buonavolanto.

The Chippewas made another late-game rally in the ninth, cutting the deficit to 3-2 and getting the tying runner on base, but not complete the comeback effort as sophomore Scott Phillion grounded into a fielder's choice and freshman Jordan Dean struck out swinging.

"We were a hit away from being in the game, even in the ninth, but earlier in the game were a hit away from being in the lead," Jaksa said. "We had 12 hits but we needed to bunch them closer together to get some (more) runs."

Senior Dale Cornstubble went 2-for-5 with a run scored.

Sabol (4-5) took the loss, giving up two runs (one earned) on six hits in 4 2/3 innings pitched. Sophomore left-handed reliever Trent Howard allowed one run on four hits in 3 1/3 innings after getting the win in CMU's 8-7 victory yesterday.

CMU will take the week off for finals before traveling to Ohio at 3 p.m. Friday for a pivotal conference series against Toledo.