Fast start propels CMU to 10-6 win against Toledo

This time, a fast start paid off for the Central Michigan baseball team.

After letting a pair of three-run leads slip away on Friday, CMU scored six runs in the first two innings to win 10-6 and even its series against the University of Toledo Saturday at Scott Park in Toledo, Ohio.

Following an RBI single by sophomore Nate Theunissen (3-for-5, two RBIs) in the first inning, the Chippewas rallied with two outs in the second to score five runs and open up a 6-0 lead on UT.

Senior Tyler Kipkee doubled to begin the rally and junior Robbie Harman singled on the ensuing at-bat to score the first run of the inning, highlighted by a three-run homer from senior James Teas.

“It was really key for us to get out fast after our tough loss last night,” said coach Steve Jaksa. “We put together some good at-bats and that led to a big 2-0 pitch and three-run blast from Teas.”

Junior right-hander Bryce Morrow (3-2) put together his third consecutive solid pitching performance to earn the win, giving up six runs on six hits while pitching a complete game.

Toledo (28-18, 14-6 MAC) got two runs in the bottom of the second from Aaron Dudley but four runs would be as close as the Rockets would get all game.

“At game time, the wind was 35 mph (with) gusts up to 50 – the wind was pushing it to right field – so we were lucky to keep it at four runs,” said Jaksa. We never allowed them to get too close, which I thought was real big in a game like today. They would score a run and we would score a run.”

Teas finished the day 3-for-5 with four RBIs and two runs scored. He is 7-for-11 with eight RBIs for the series.

Junior Matt Faiman went 2-for-4 with two runs scored while senior Billy Anderson finished 2-for-4 with an RBI.

Mike Hamann (5-3, 4.18 ERA) took the loss while Jason Edwards went 2-for-4 with two RBIs for Toledo.

With the win, CMU (25-19, 13-7 MAC) currently sits a game behind Toledo and Ball State (13-5) for first place in the West Division.

On the game being must-win to stay in contention for a MAC West title, Jaksa said: “I think there was that feeling. We didn’t think our backs were to the wall, but we pushed a little bit.”

Ball State moves into a tie with the Rockets after having the first game of its series against Western Michigan postponed on Friday. Both teams were scheduled to continue the game and play Game 2 Saturday, but wet conditions in Kalamazoo postponed play to Sunday.

CMU and Toledo will play the last game of the weekend series at 1 p.m. Sunday.