Softball loses both games of doubleheader against MAC-leading Kent State

A day after falling out of first place in the Mid-American Conference West Division, the Central Michigan softball team lost both games of a doubleheader Saturday against Kent State in Kent, Ohio.

The Chippewas lost to the conference-leading Golden Flashes (28-17, 15-3 MAC) 9-1 in six innings and 4-2, respectively.

CMU (25-16, 11-7 MAC) got out to a 1-0 lead early in the first game on an RBI single by senior Katie Greenman. After that, however, things went south for the Chippewas.

Kent State's Lauren Grimes tied the game with a solo home run in the third, the first of nine consecutive runs scored by the Golden Flashes.

Junior right-hander Kari Seddon took the loss, giving up five runs on five hits in 3 2/3 innings pitched. Freshman right-hander Sarah Patterson allowed four runs on three hits in 1 2/3 innings.

Game 2

A walk-off two-run home run by Kent State's Beth Cinadr in the bottom of the seventh gave the Golden Flashes a 4-2 win in the second game.

CMU tied the game at 1 following an RBI single by junior Amanda Patrick in the fourth inning. An RBI single by Katie Greenman allowed the Chippewas to take a 2-1 lead an inning later, but KSU would tie the game in the sixth with a solo home run.

Freshman right-hander Kara Dornbos (10-4) took the loss despite pitching a complete game. She surrendered four runs on six hits, while striking out eight.

CMU will take the week off for finals before playing a doubleheader against Northern Illinois at 1 p.m. Friday at Margo Jonker Stadium.