New College of Business Administration dean takes over

cbadean-web
College of Business Administration dean Charles Crespy laughs as he jokes with a couple of his administrative secretaries Tuesdaywhile in his office in the Applied Business Study Complex on the second floor of Grawn Hall. (Photo by Jake May/Photo Editor)

Charles Crespy may be in a position of leadership, but he doesn’t mind it if you simply call him “Chuck.”

The new College of Business Administration dean began work June 15 and his engaging personality has been welcomed to the table by other staff and faculty.

“It is delightful to be here,” Crespy said. “I have met many committed faculty and I know we’ll make significant progress in the years ahead.”

He was appointed after a national search to replace former CBA dean Michael Fields, who left for a position at Nova Southeastern University in Florida last summer. Associate Dean Daniel Vetter served as the college’s interim dean after Fields’ departure.

“(Crespy) comes to the university with the experience of being dean and I think that’s important,” Vetter said. “He’s very experienced and qualified.”

The number of available CBA specialty courses, including a variety of which have received national recognition that impressed Crespy, he said. Crespy points to not only the broad business education students can receive from the college, but also how they can focus on several niche concentrations.

Crespy was dean at both the University of New Mexico’s Anderson School of Management from 2004 to 2007 and the University of Texas at El Paso College of Business. His other academic managerial experience includes chairman of the marketing department at Miami University and interim director of graduate programs in public administration at Clark University. He has served as a business professor as well.

He earned bachelor’s and master’s degrees in Latin American studies, a master of business administration degree and a doctoral degree in international management from the University of New Mexico.

“He’s really into shared governments and taking that consensus and putting it together into a vision to carry us forward,” said Concha Neeley, an assistant professor in marketing and hospitality department. “I admire his passion for student success.”

He said a key goal is ensuring more opportunities for future graduates.

The CBA dean oversees several academic departments and schools, including finance and law, economics, management, marketing and hospitality, and accounting. Crespy also oversees the LaBelle Entrepreneurial Center.

Crespy and faculty plan to soon discuss all aspects of the business college and any possible changes for the new academic year.

“We’ll try to advance those things we feel are most important,” Crespy said. “We will do what we do, but even better.”