Field hockey loses first game at Champions Invitational

anm-fhdive-01-copy
Ashley Miller/Staff Photographer Sophomore mid-fielder Erin Dye is tripped Saturday afternoon while traveling up the field during their away game against Michigan State in East Lansing. CMU lost 4-2.

Updated to reflect scoring change. EAST LANSING - The Central Michigan field hockey team lost a close match against in-state rival Michigan State Saturday in game one of the Champions Invitational at Ralph Young Field.

"We just played supposedly the seventh ranked team in the country, and I think we can take a lot of things from this to build on within our non-conference schedule as we prepare for the conference,” said coach Cristy Freese.

MSU back Joelle van Ierland netted the game’s first goal six minutes into the game to give the Spartans a 1-0 lead.

CMU (0-1) tied the game in the 18th minute when junior Brooke Sihota blasted a rebound into the back of the net.

"I thought Brooke Sihota did a nice job defensively, and only had one turnover," Freese said.

The Spartans took their second lead of the game late in the first half following a streak of five quick penalty corner shots. On the fifth corner shot, MSU midfielder Angela Pagura scored her first goal of the season to put it up 2-1.

Sihota added her second goal of the game in the second half, bringing the Chippewas closer, but was quickly shut down 42 seconds later after MSU’s Sabine van den Assem snatched the lead right back.

Van den Assem put CMU away with 7:59 remaining, scoring her second goal of the contest off a penalty corner rebound to give her team a 4-2 lead.

CMU was outshot 29-8 and was on the losing side of the corner battle, with four to MSU's 13.

"I think we did a really good job our first game against Michigan State, who is always a good challenge," Sihota said.

Between the pipes

CMU freshman goalkeeper Carissa Flocken earned her first collegiate start and was tested early and often, making eight saves on 12 shots. MSU goalkeeper Molly Cassidy saved three.

"(MSU) scored early and I thought (Flocken) handled that well mentally and came back stronger," Freese said.

Coming into the game, Flocken was one of three contenders for the starting goalkeeper position. Freese said she has earned the chance to show what shess got.

"We really felt that Carissa has some good reaction time and footwork speed that would help her," she said. "She's been a step in front of the others through the three weeks of practice and she'll get the start again tomorrow."

CMU will conclude the tournament at 11:30 a.m. Sunday against No. 13 Louisville at Ralph Young Field.

"If we just play the way we did today and set the tempo early, I think we'll do pretty well tomorrow,” Sihota said.