Former CMU players beginning to impress in NFL; Anderson cut by UFL team

It took him three games, but former Central Michigan quarterback Dan LeFevour put together the best performance of his young NFL career on Saturday.

LeFevour went 10-for-12 for 100 yards and a touchdown in the Chicago Bears’ 14-9 loss against Arizona. Backing up starter Jay Cutler, he came into the game in the third quarter and helped lead the drive to the team’s only touchdown of the game.

LeFevour had a rough debut in Chicago’s preseason opener against San Diego, going 2-for-10 for 21 yards.

The CMU standout struggled again in the Bears’ Aug. 21 game against Oakland, going 3-for-10 for 39 yards and an interception, amassing a 3.8 quarterback rating.

Chicago recently signed 38-year-old veteran quarterback Matt Collins and Matt Gutierrez to contracts, increasing the number of quarterbacks on the roster to five.

Meanwhile, Antonio Brown has not missed a beat in Pittsburgh.

Brown had a game-high 84 yards receiving on Sept. 14 against Detroit, including a 68-yard touchdown run in the fourth quarter.

Last week against New York, Brown got a lot of work returning punts and kickoffs. He returned two kickoffs for 50 yards and four punts for 43 yards.

Linebacker Frank Zombo has also made a name for himself in Green Bay.

The two-time All-Mid-American Conference selection had the biggest play of his career on Thursday, sacking Indianapolis quarterback Peyton Manning and forcing a fumble in the Packers’ 59-24 win against the Colts. Zombo earned the start at outside linebacker following a series of injuries on the team.

Anderson cut

Former CMU wide receiver Bryan Anderson was cut Friday by the Omaha Nighthawks of the United Football League.

Anderson, a second-team All-Mid-American Conference selection, joined Omaha’s practice squad on July 23. He was cut by the New England Patriots on June 11 after signing as a free agent back in April.