Investiture inducts George Ross in October as Central Michigan University's 14th president

University President George Ross will be recognized at a ceremonial investiture in October marking his induction into Central Michigan University’s administration.

The event will begin with an invitation-only luncheon at 2 p.m. Oct. 14 in Plachta Auditorium, with a formal ceremony and a reception following in Bovee University Center.

“This is a great opportunity for the campus community to celebrate his investiture, and it is definitely going to impact students,” said Board of Trustees chairwoman Stephanie Comai.

It is an invitation to listen to Ross and hear his goals for the university and what he sees as the next steps for the university, Comai said.

“The purpose of the investiture is to recognize Ross’ new presidency and mark this important transition,” said Director of Public Relations Steve Smith. “The CMU Board of Trustees will officially install Ross as CMU’s 14th president and present him with the university’s medallion.”

An investiture committee composed of more than 20 administrators, faculty and students was appointed to organize the event. The board is working with volunteers, including the Student Government Association, in preparation for the ceremony.

Formal investitures are typically held during the president’s first year in office or at the conclusion of the first year, Smith said.

SGA president Brittany Mouzourakis is serving as a member of the luncheon subcommittee for the event. The Garden City senior said it is a ceremony not be missed because of its direct relation with students.

“I am helping to plan the small details of the event,” Mouzourakis said. “It will help to bring back a long tradition that has been forgotten about for over 20 years ... It is important for us to look back on the past and see who used to lead our university.”